By: The Vegan 8
3 1/2 cups whole grain spelt flour
1 1/2 tsp. instant rapid rise yeast
1 tsp. fine sea salt
1 1/2 TBSP orange juice
1 cup warm water (not hot!)
3 TBSP pure maple syrup
2 TBSP unsweetened applesauce
- Mix flour, yeast and salt with warm water. Add maple syrup, orange juice and applesauce and stir.
- Add mixture to flour. Mix well.
- Knead dough in a bowl for about 5 minutes until it is an elastic texture, but not sticky.
- Place in a large non-stick bowl, cover and place the oven with the light on for approx. 45 minutes. Should double in size.
- Punch dough down, then place onto a lightly floured surface. Knead a turn just a few times.
- Form into a loaf shape and place in a sprayed 9x5 pan.
(We roll or sprinkle ours in seeds, nuts and oatmeal at this point.)
- Cover with plastic wrap, place in completely cool oven and let rise 30-45 minutes.
- Take dough out and preheat oven to 375°F.
- Remove plastic wrap and bake for 25-20 mins.
- Let sit for 10 minutes before removing from pan.